More than just a Sixth Form
Newstead Wood School is an academic Sixth Form and we know that the majority of our students will go on to Higher Education. We pride ourselves on developing articulate, resilient confident and independent learners who achieve highly to go on to Higher study.
Your chosen A’level subjects are a large part of your Sixth Form experience, but we also ensure that we provide a range of additional opportunities to help you achieve more than an A*.
Your Director of Learning will monitor your progress throughout your studies, liaising with your subject teachers and Form Tutors to make sure that everything is as it should be. Your Director of Learning and Form Tutor also look after the pastoral side of things encouraging you to make the most of the many extra-curricular opportunities that will be open to you as Year 12 students. Our Student Services Manager, based in the Sixth Form Block is a ‘go to’ person and should be your first point of contact.
Dedicated study time in your timetable will ensure that you complete all the work that is expected.
Our ‘Supergreens’ are those students in Year 13 who have excelled in Year 12 and are rewarded with the freedoms of University style study patterns in Year 13.
There are a plethora of additional programmes running throughout the school, every student will find something they can feel inspired by:
- House System - The House system is an integral part of Newstead Wood School. Each student is allocated to a House and will participate in a variety of competitive activities that promote leadership, creativity and collaboration.
- Student Leadership opportunities are abundant and students can apply to become Subject Captains, House Captains, part of the Head Student Team and Student Parliament to name but a few.
- Duke of Edinburgh’s Award – Newstead Wood School is the largest provider of DofE in Bromley. We currently run Bronze, Silver and Gold. The students take part in practice expeditions on the North and South Downs along with Exmoor and Dartmoor for Gold.
- Subject Societies are run by Sixth Form students for each subject. Year 12 and 13 students lead discussions and debates weekly. Some societies are just for Sixth form students, others are open to the whole school.
- Weekly Lecture Programme provides information from Alumni, Universities, Education Providers, Gap Year organisations and others to support students on the next step of their journey.
- Oxbridge, Elite University, MDV Mentoring for students applying to these Universities.
- Mock University Admissions tests
- Practice University Interviews with key staff, Alumni or guest visitors.
- Healthy active lifestyles - Our enrichment sessions on Wednesday afternoons also replicate University style study.
- Charity and Fundraising - Each House raises considerable sums of money each year for charity. We run NASH Club here at Newstead where we work with this local charity through Art and Technology initiatives. We actively encourage community involvement and supports a variety of different national and international organisations
- National Citizen Service is a 3-4 week experience that helps build students confidence and self-belief. Students live away from home, develop skills and meet amazing people. Food, accommodation and activities, all in for up to £50.
- Young Enterprise encourages students to develop an entrepreneurial mindset to think flexibly and decisively, network with confidence and build positive relationships and establish a personal brand through social media. There are many opportunities to initiate social enterprise projects across the whole School to encourage innovative thinking aligned to our values.
- Trips and Visits are an integral part of life at Newstead Wood School. We believe that trips and visits broaden horizons and instil a sense of adventure, leadership, teamwork and decision making, complementing what goes on in the classroom.
- Peer Mentoring is also integral to life at Newstead Wood School. Sixth form students may support a Year 7 new to the school, a year 11 student taking their GCSE’s, or a fellow Sixth Former needing support with a particular topic.
- Work Experience is organised for all students in the summer of Year 12.
- Careers Guidance is integral to all that we offer at Newstead.